A lot of Valentine’s Day specials are happening around town, many of which are at great restaurants. Here’s a bit of a list of places we’ve heard from: enjoy!
• La Monarca Bakery has the perfect sweets for your loved ones for Valentine’s Day. Festive options include Chocolate Covered Fresh Strawberries available in both white and dark chocolate, Heart Butter Cookies, Mini Strawberry Shortcake Bites, and their Valentine’s Day Strawberry Shortcake. Specials are available at all locations, including South Pasadena and Santa Monica. For more information, please visit www.lamonarcabakery.com or @LaMonarcaBakery.
• Lindy & Grundy: In honor of Valentine’s Day Lindy & Grundy is offering a special class called “Sausage Making for Lovers” on Thursday, February 13th from 7-10p. Learn how to make home made sausages and enjoy Domaine Champagne and chocolates. If you’re planning on staying in for the evening, stop by Lindy & Grundy for all of your meat needs, from dry-aged cuts to butterflied pork loins and salumi. For more information on specialty cuts available as well as standard cuts, please visit www.lindyandgrundy.com or call 323.951.0804. Guests can also check out their Instagram and Twitter feeds @LindyGrundy.
• Petty Cash: Looking for something fun and relaxed on Valentine’s Day? Stop by Petty Cash for an “anti” Valentine’s Day and enjoy tacos, cocktails, and a round of shuffleboard. For more information visit www.pettycashtaqueria.com or follow @pettycashla.
• Shade Hote in Manhattan Beach will be offering diners a three-course prix-fixe menu for Valentine’s Day. Dishes include The Ultimate Lovers Sip & Dip with heirloom tomato bisque, basil oil, mini tuscan grilled cheese, vine ripened rosso bruno tomato caprese cup; The Sweetheart Surf & Turf Duo with pomegranate braised black angus short rib, california artichoke au gratin with manchego cheese, crispy leeks, pomegranate demi-glace and Chili Dusted Jumbo Shrimp with yucca mash, avocado cream, gujillo chili oil; and for dessert, The Lovers Quarrel Duo mini chocolate hazelnut panna cotta with raspberry coulis, chocolate sauce, hazelnut sugar, chocolate hearts and Mini Passion Fruit Cheesecake Brûlée passionfruit sorbet, fresh passionfruit sauce, vanilla whipped cream. The dinner is priced at $50 per person plus tax and gratuity with seatings available between 7:00pm and 9:00pm. For reservations or more information, please call 310.546.4995 or visit www.shadehotel.com.
• Short Cake in LA’s Original Farmers Market is offering special Valentine’s Day goodies including their traditional heart shaped chocolate cake with house-made raspberry lavender jam ($15), heart linzer cookies ($2 each or 6 for $10), heart brownies & brunettes ($5 per bag), and hazelnut financiers ($1 for mini / $2 for regular). For more information visit www.ShortCakeLA.com or follow @ShortCakeLA.
• Sotto is offering a four-course menu designed by chefs Steve Samson and Zach Pollack for Valentine’s Day. The menu will feature options for each course, with favorites from the regular menu available as well as specialty offerings for the evening. The dinner is priced at $65 per person plus tax and gratuity. For more information, follow @SottoLA or visit www.sottorestaurant.com.
• The Strand House is offering a multi-course dinner in honor of Valentine’s Day. All guests will begin with an amuse of Sweet Petite Oyster yuzu granite, finger lime, young ginger, with multiple course offerings including Caviar ‘Croquet Madame’ poached asparagus, fried quail egg, hollandaise, toasted brioche; Seafood ‘Scampi’ black garlic linguini, rock shrimp, garlic flan, pickled fresno chili; Seared Dayboat Scallop truffle risotto, roasted heirloom beets, sorrel nave; Lam Ossobuco parsnip puree, caponata, crispy kale; Duo of Beef wagyu NY, braised beef cheeks, Anson Mills polenta, stinging nettles, syrah sauce; and for dessert, Raspberry French Macaron meyer lemon cream, passion fruit foam, citrus sherbet, or Chocolate Lovers valrhona 69% chocolate ganache, dehydrated mousse, white chocolate cremeax, devils food cake, chocolate caviar. The menu is priced at $125 per person plus tax and gratuity, with optional wine pairings for $50. For reservations or more information, please call 310.545.7470 or visit www.thestrandhousemb.com.
• Mud Hen Tavern: Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is almost here! This Valentine’s Day, Mud Hen Tavern, the new neighborhood bar and restaurant from acclaimed chef Susan Feniger, is offering a special “Opposites Attract” menu for guests and their loved one(s). Whether you’re looking to celebrate with your sweetheart or surround yourself with other singles, everyone can all enjoy a delicious Valentine’s Day dinner paired with fantastic cocktails at Mud Hen Tavern. They will also be offering a Champagne Special: Cupid’s Special $12 – Let your arrow fly! Buy SOMEONE ELSE a glass off Vovetti “the promise” Prosecco and get a free goat cheese and strawberry fritter plate to share… and the chance to meet new people or share with your sweetheart!
• Rustic Canyon: Santa Monica neighborhood restaurant, Rustic Canyon, invites guests to enjoy award-winning chef Jeremy Fox’s menu of farmers’ market-inspired small plates, served family style. For $85 per person (exclusive of tax and gratuity), diners may choose eight plates per table from a selection of 16 menu items. Highlights include Steelhead Tartare with “Sierra Gold” potato, oyster, and old bay; Stone Valley Farms Pork Rillete, served in a jar with pickled red onion, parsley, and violet mustard; Roasted Scallops with cauliflower, vadouvan, and pine nut-raisin relish; and a decadent Strawberry Lattice Pie with vanilla ice cream from Pastry Chef Laurel Almerinda.
• Public Kitchen: Start the night off right with a His or Her Cocktail for $14 ea. Set the mood with our fresh raw oysters: half dozen ($16) or full dozen ($28). The Valentine’s Menu is 5 courses at $65 per person and includes beet salad, tuna crudo, raspberry & champagne granite, the option of seared scallops, filet mignon, or sunchoke risotto for entree, and white chocolate mousse. Optional Rosé wine pairing for $29. Make reservations here.
• On Friday, February 14, 2014, from 5PM to 11PM, Angelenos are invited to experience an exclusive Valentine’s Day menu at romantic seaside dining destination, CAFE del REY. Executive Chef Chuck Abair showcases his seasonally inspired Mediterranean fare with a three-course dinner for $85 per person*. Featuring winter seafood, housemade pastas, and shareable, the special Valentine’s Day menu includes thoughtfully prepared starters such as:
§ Filet Carpaccio with arugula, fried capers, egg, and mustard
§ Lemon Ricotta Gnocchi served with mushrooms, prosciutto, and kale
§ Scallops served with fennel, Yukon gold potatoes, guanciale, tangerines, arugula, and citrus powder
§ Maine Lobster with orzo, spinach, asparagus, and béarnaise sauce
§ New York Strip Steak with grilled escarole, garlic mashed potatoes, and red wine jus
§ Black Truffle Risotto with shaved black truffles, mushrooms, and butternut squash
§ White Chocolate Tart with salted caramel, raspberries, and cashew anglaise
§ Dark Chocolate Cake with Grand Gala infused berries and chocolate sauce
• Girasol (Studio City; available February 14)
At Girasol, Executive Chef CJ Jacobson creates a seasonally driven four-course tasting menu ($75/person) featuring wild ingredients such as Forest Tea, Sage, Wild Flowers, and Elderberry. Served on Friday (Valentine’s Day) and Saturday with seatings at 5:30, 7:30, and 9:30 p.m., the menu features:
o Crudo of Local Bass marinated in “Forest Tea,” Winter Citrus & Elderberry Wine Curd, and Wild Flowers
o Celery Root Soup with Seasoned Blueberry, Black & White Wild Sage
o Roasted Black Cod or Wild Wagyu Strip Loin with Black Winter Truffle Sauce
o Brownie Chocolate “Pudding” Cake with Sweet Clover Ice Cream
Supplemental aphrodisiac-driven dishes (market price) consist of:
o Hackleback Caviar with Long Roasted Apple, Sea Bean Cream, and Hay Oil
o Oysters on the Half Shell served with Whey, Wild Mustard, Uni, and Pickled Wild Currant
• FIG & OLIVE Melrose Place (West Hollywood; available February 14)
Executive Chef Pascal Lorange crafts a three-course prix-fixe dinner ($65/person) inspired by the French Riviera. A selection of dishes include:
o Seared Scallops & Chanterelle with Mushroom Tapenade and Porcini Oil
o Beef Tartar featuring marinated hand cut grass fed Filet Mignon, Caper, Dijon, Olive Oil Emulsion, Olive Oil Crackers, and Tuscan Olive Oil
o Half Dozen Oysters on the Half Shell served with a trio of mignonettes
o Roasted Rack of Lamb with Herbs de Provence, Goat Cheese Gnocchi, and Sautéed Wild Mushroom
o Valrhona Chocolate Brownie with Milk Chocolate, Mascarpone Mousse, and Chocolate Raspberry Glaze
• Napa Valley Grille (Westwood; available February 13 – 20)
Available from Thursday – Sunday, Executive Chef Taylor Boudreaux’s “Lovers Tasting Menu” ($125 for two) consists of a four-course prix-fixe menu alongside a Prosecco toast, including:
o Satsuma and Fuji Apple Salad with Goat Cheese, Mizuna, Marcona Almonds, and Yuzu Vinaigrette
o Surf and Turf to Share including Fresh Maine Lobster and Filet Mignon with Confit Fingerling Potatoes, Oyster Mushrooms, Brown Butter, and Bordelaise Sauce
o Grand Marnier-infused Chocolate Covered Strawberries
• On Friday, February 14, Plan Check Kitchen + Bar invites guests to celebrate an alternative Anti-Valentine’s Day at their new Fairfax Village location.
The modern American eatery will offer 2 for $14 cocktail specials and an all-day happy hour (from 11:30 a.m.– 2 a.m.) featuring cocktail chef Matthew Biancaniello’s Ice Breaker, comprised of Japanese whisky, Batavia Arrak, lime juice, Monin agave syrup, passionfruit, ghost pepper salt, aloe vera chunks, and El Jimador.
• This Valentine’s Day, (Friday, February 14, 2014), RivaBella, located on the energized Sunset Strip, transports Angelenos to the Italian Riviera with a four-course prix-fixe menu ($60/person++) from Chef-Partner Gino Angelini. The city’s premier dining destination for haute Italian fare, RivaBella offers a stylish atmosphere, complete with a sweeping 2,800 square-foot patio, for couples and first-daters alike to enjoy an intimate meal. Blending traditional family recipes with modern interpretations of Chef Gino’s storied Italian cuisine, highlights of the RivaBella Valentine’s Day menu include Sunchoke Soup, with braised veal cheek and Sunchoke chips; Butternut Squash Tortelli, with Amaretti, brown butter, pecorino, and sage; Vegetables en Papillote, with baby carrots, baby fennel, Tinker Bell Peppers, rapini, fingerling potatoes, garlic, and white wine; and Dark Chocolate Chambord Tart, with Rosewater shortbread and raspberry macaron. Happening Valentine’s Day, Friday, February 14, 2014, and is $60 per person.
• M Café: Beloved macrobiotic eatery, M Café has created a special menu of decadent sweet treats to indulge in this Valentine’s Day without the use of eggs, dairy, refined sugar or processed ingredients. Whether guests enjoy these guilt-free confections while dining in at one of their three locations (Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or the newest location to open in Brentwood) or take home as an indulgent edible gift, M Café will offer these sweet treats beginning February 3-16, 2014, (Pricing TBD). M Café’s will also be offering their regular menu to balance out your sweet tooth out with shareable signature dishes such as Bi Bim Bop or the seasonal salads such as the Scarlet Quinoa. Visit www.mcafedechaya.com for more information or to place an order.
• Crossroads: This neighborhood culinary gem and haven for Hollywood elite will feature a romantic 5-course tasting menu including a complimentary glass of champagne ($75++) available starting Valentine’s day on Friday, February 14 through Sunday, February 16th. Whether guests have their eye on the corner booth — one of the most romantic and coveted tables in the city – an intimate table for two in the bustling dining room for guaranteed star sightings, or a quiet dinner in the Wine Room, the inviting yet fashionable setting designed by Los Angeles-based Studio Collective at Crossroads sets the mood for a romantic rendezvous for two. Renowned Chef/Partner Tal Ronnen oversees the inventive exclusively plant-based menu with dishes such as a Spicy Oven Roasted Romanesco with toasted hazelnuts, Scaloppini Chanterelle with an anorith apple gremolata, finished with a Red Velvet Cake with sweet mascarpone cream and white chocolate truffle. Reservations are recommended by calling
• CHAYA Restaurants (Beverly Hills, Downtown, Venice): Each CHAYA restaurant will feature a “Love at First Bite” Valentine’s Day 3-course tasting menu ($65++ at Beverly Hills, $68++ at Downtown and Venice), complemented by special guest entertainment, complimentary CHAYA truffles, and an exclusive “Early Love-Bird” special featuring a complimentary half bottle of Rosé for reservations and guests arriving by or before 7 p.m. on February 14, 2014. Specialty dishes at each location may include Live Halibut Wrapped Santa Barbara Sea Urchin; Spanish Octopus Carpaccio with plum leaves aioli, pickled beets and Hearts on Fire; Madeira Wine-Braised Lamb Osso Buco; Seared Mole Kampachi Yellowtail Sashimi; and guests are invited to finish with CHAYA’s can’t-miss desserts such as a Heart Shaped Bread Pudding with Dulce De Leche Ice Cream, and Heart Shaped Banana Banana Banana (menus, cocktails, entertainment will vary per location); Tantalizing tipples will include “Red Dragon” and “Mint Chip Sake” with Ozeki hot sake, white crème de cacao, white crème de menthe ($10-$13) to name a few. Reservations are strongly recommended; Visit www.thechaya.com for more information or to book a reservation.
• RED O Newport Beach: Guests will feel as though they’ve been transported to a lavish Mexican resort at the new flagship RED O Restaurant in Newport Beach by acclaimed Master Chef Rick Bayless. For Valentine’s Day the restaurant will offer a surf & turf special with lobster tail ($34 for one 8 oz and $60 for two) along with their regular menu of upscale Mexican cuisine which Bayless is recognized for. To round out the dining experience, all diners will receive complimentary chocolate truffles for dessert. Guests will also enjoy live music throughout the evening in the restaurants lounge. Reservations can be made at www.redorestaurant.com or by calling 949-718-0300
• Tortilla Republic West Hollywood: This West Hollywood eatery specializing in modern Mexican cuisine offers guests a satiating way to “Spice Up Valentine’s Day” with a four-course $65++ prix-fixe dinner menu consisting of an amuse-bouche, and appetizers including Lobster and Crab Carpaccio with red chili oil, avocado, and micro cilantro; and ½ Dozen Oysters on the Half Shell with red jalapeño mignonette and lime caviar. Vibrant and piquant entrées will include a Fig & Chorizo Stuffed Pork Chop with chile roasted baby carrots and piloncillo & ancho pepper sauce; Roasted Lamb Chops with tequila-poached pears, herbed-chile goat cheese, and roasted jalapeño pesto; and Pan Seared Halibut with purple sweet potato puree, and meyer lemon-cilantro beurre blanc. The evening will conclude with a tantalizing selection of dessert options such as Bunelo Fruit Tarta with sweet chili glaze and vanilla cream and Bracito De Gitano with chocolate-chili ganache, horchata vanilla wafer, and tequila whipped cream. The restaurant’s intimate dining room, sophisticated rope room, and cozy patio completes the romantic Valentine’s Day celebration. Reservations can be made by visiting http://www.tortillarepublic.com/west-hollywood-california or by calling 310-657-9888. Additionally, for guests looking to avoid crowds the restaurant will offer an abbreviated menu of select dishes on Saturday, February 15 and Sunday, February 16, 2014, as well as the regular menu of reimagined Mexican classics.
• Cafe Del Rey: On Friday, February 14, 2014, Angelenos are invited to experience an exclusive three-course Valentine’s Day dinner for $85 per person* at the city’s landmark seaside dining destination overlooking the Marina, CAFE del REY. This year, Executive Chef Chuck Abair will offer couples and loved ones a selection of seasonally-inspired surf and turf fare including winter seafood, prime cuts of meat, housemade pastas, and shareable treats.
• Rivera: Chef John Sedlar will be offering two special menu options this Valentine’s Day. His first menu is the second iteration of his Hunting Society of New South Park menu.
The special 5-course menu is $100 per person and includes Hunter Gatherer (oyster with korean spices), Pheasant of the Sea (poached lobster with tarragon and meyer lemon), Nested Eggs and Wild Greens (broccoli rabe flan), Water and Meadow (salmon and filet mignon, purple cauliflower, purple potato crisps), and In the Brambles (summer berry custard, roasted pineapple sorbet, pine nut brittle). Chef’s second menu of the evening is the Valentine’s Day 2014: Pasion Menu featuring classic dishes from Rivera’s menus. The 5-course $100 menu includes Viera Arabesque (the moorish influence), Horse Latitudes (sailing to a new world), Quechua (the inca world), Brazilian Feijoada (a mingling of cultures), and Xocolata Xochimilco (le mexique). The special menus are only available on Friday, February 14th. For more information visit www.riverarestaurant.com.
• Maxiliano: The Highland Park Italian restaurant will be hosting a special menu on February 14 that includes—
Squash Blossom stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella
Squid Ink Linguini with crab, jalapeno pesto, asparagus, sea urchin
Baby Gem Salad with asparagus, spring onion, english peas, carrots, beets, red wine vinaigrette
Corn Chowder with bacon conﬁt, red onion, potatoes
Primi Pasta: potato gnocchi with basil pesto, pomodoro, burrata
Red Beet Risotto with lobster, red bell pepper
Tagliatelle with wild boar ragu
Lamb Chop with ﬁngerling potatoes, rapini, red wine sauce, salsa verde
Soft Polenta with creamy mushroom ragu, sauteed broccolini
Sea Bass with asparagus sauce, crimini mushrooms
Molten Chocolate Cake with raspberry ice cream, salted chocolate toffee crunch